What is Naturopathic Functional Medicine?
Naturopathic Functional Medicine follows six principles
First, do no harm
- Utilizes methods and medicinal substances that minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat.
- Avoids, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms.
- Acknowledges, respects, and works with your individual self-healing process.
The healing power of nature
- Recognizes the inherent self-healing process of your body
- Identifies and removes obstacles to healing
- Augments the inherent self-healing processes when necessary through natural means
Identify and treat the Causes
- Removes the underlying causes of illness rather than merely eliminating or suppressing symptoms
Doctor as teacher
- Educates about the body functions + underlying causes of disease
- Provides adequate information to allow informed choice
- Encourages self-responsibility for health + wellness
Treat the whole person
- Considering each individual’s physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social and other factors
- Encourages you through your health journey and individual “growth”
- Prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility
No quick fix!
Identifying the root cause, treating the whole person and re-establishing the natural balance takes time.
There are no shortcuts and no quick fixes!
Meanwhile, the results are long-lasting, and re-balancing one body system creates a ripple-effect that soon provides lasting wellness for the whole body.
Every Body, every age, every condition
Naturopathic Functional Medicine is looking at the biochemistry of the cells in your body. It is assessing how the cells that make up your organs work – or don’t work when they are disabled through disease. Naturopathic Functional Medicine aims to rebalance your cells biochemistry and cell function through diet, vitamins, minerals, herbs, but also through exercise, and mindfulness.
Since the biochemical pathways are universal in every cell, Naturopathic Functional Medicine can be used to correct the imbalances that occur in all kinds of different conditions.
Naturopathic Functional Medicine is right for you if you are looking to understand why you are in dis-ease and to use that knowledge to re-establish your body’s balance naturally.
Naturopathic Functional Medicine engages you to take part in a therapeutic partnership with your Naturopathic Physician. Together you collect and combine the puzzle pieces of your symptoms, experiences, habits, test results etc. and explain why you are at dis-ease. With the guidance of your Naturopathic Doctor, you can implement the changes to re-establish a health and wellness.